Skip to main content

CARES ACT-HEERF

CARES ACT (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act established an approximately $14b Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF), which allocated 75% of the funding to institutions of higher education based on the number of each institution's Pell Grant recipients and the remaining 25% based upon each institution's remaining total student's Full-Time Enrollment. Under this metric, Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary was allocated $21, 532. Pursuant to the CARES Act, institutions are obligated to use at least half of their allocated funding for emergency student financial aid grants. The remaining portion of an institution's CARES Act funding may be used for certain other expenses relating to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19. The Department of Education has made the student portion of this CARES Act funding available first. 

  • Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that we intend to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
  • Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary will receive $21,532 from the Department pursuant to our Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
  • The $21,532 grant was awarded on September 30, 2020. As of October 30, 2020, there have been no Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
  • There are approximately 40 students at the institution who are or could be eligible to participate in the Federal student financial aid programs under Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, and thus are eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
  • Less than 10 students have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of October 30, 2020.
  • Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary will allocate funds to each eligible student to cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus. The amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants each eligible student will receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is not yet determined.
  • The Emergency Financial Aid Grants will cover eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, and health care. Pope Saint John XXIII National Seminary will be establishing a maximum funding threshold for each student to ensure that the funds are distributed as widely as possible. There will be more information posted here in the future with instructions on how the students will certify their eligibility to receive the financial aid grant.

 

Follow Us On